Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Finally in Chingola

After visiting Mansa (we drove through DR Congo on the way there, but went around on the way back), we arrived at our final destination Friday night. On Saturday we met with both of our congregations in Chingola, and went to one of them for the church service Sunday morning. It was definitely different than any other service I have been to, and I didn't get a complete translation of everything.

It is weird being one of very few white people here. We are getting a small dose of what it is like to be a celebrity or someone else who is always attracting attention. But, if people stare too long Catherine tells them to stop for us. I am slowly getting used to the attention that wasn't really there in South Africa or Botswana. I have also been getting used to the days here and I am able to sleep through most nights okay. We are exhausted by about 7:30 or so every night, but have been staying up until about 9:00 for the most part.

There are a lot of really good fruits and juices here, which I really like. I love fruit juice, especially when it is cheaper than pop. I am not sure if I will be able to post pictures because the internet connection is slow and not very reliable, but I will try.

There is a blog for all WSC volunteers at http://www.worldservicecorps.blogspot.com/ if you want to see what the people at the other sites are doing, and my partner's blog is at http://wsczambia2009.blogspot.com/ if you want to see a different perspective (she also writes a lot more than I do).

1 comment:

  1. Dear Fellow Sojourner: Ashley, Our prayers travel with you. May God bless and direct your footsteps. Your footprints will forever be imprinted on the hearts of your fellow brothers and sisters you meet. God Bless now and always! Prairie Hills Community of Christ (Tami Pistello)

    ReplyDelete